[Ftcstudents] One of the things I learned...

Dan Williams wondersaboutnumbers at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 00:41:55 EDT 2012

One of the things I learned early on when I got started in the computer
field was that you can learn almost everything you need if you just RTFM
(Read the Fine Manual).

In today's world, you not only need to read the documentation, but having
the ability to FIND it is almost as important!  Google is great, but
sometimes you need to "poke around" web sites (and actual physical
libraries!) and read some of the postings.

Tonight I was hoping someone might have stumbled upon a way to determine the
weight, or at least the relative weight of those rings but it didn't sound
like anyone had given it much thought.

I'll point you to one example this time, but you really need to do some
"digging" yourselves!  It is easy to find and some of you might have already
been on this web page
<http://www.usfirst.org/roboticsprograms/ftc/additionalresources> , and
maybe even had looked at this document
<http://www.usfirst.org/sites/default/files/uploadedFiles/Robotics_Programs/
FTC/FTC_Documents/MechScale.pdf> .

Anybody care to try to build one?  If it works well enough, how could you
adapt it to use on your robot so that it doesn't take a lot of time getting
a ring on and off the scale?  I don't have an answer to that, I'm more of a
"software" kind of guy, but I bet somebody can come up with some workable
ideas!

Good luck and keep looking for examples of what others have done as well as
trying to be "original".

Dan Williams

Portland, OR USA